Muccamukk

Muccamukk

The Radical King (King Legacy)
Martin Luther King Jr., Cornel West
Ancillary Justice
Ann Leckie

Wonderful fable that happend to push some of my buttons.

Redemption in Indigo - Karen Lord, Robin Miles

I loved the style of this story. It's very artificially told as a campfire tale, by an omnipotent narrator who keeps weaving all over the place. It's going for charming, and it hits it right now the nose. I think my favourite part was how little the narrator cared about a sense of place (people take long mule trips, then end up being late and hop on a bus), it's in no time and no country in the way a fairytale is, but more so because it's clearly told by a modern person, while at the same time it's clearly not about a real place, while at the same time, the sense of culture and place is incredibly strong. That was a lot of balls to have in the air on a first novel, and Lord caught them all, easily.

The story, without spoilers, is about god-like spirits quarrelling and involving humans as proxies, to some extent. It's more about the powerful manifestations of human qualities like opportunity and forbearance, in a somewhat metaphorical, and somewhat whimsical plea for both balance and compassion (I've been reading a lot of Le Guin, and this reminded me of the Taoism she employs). It's all very whimsical, and often surprisingly moving.

All that said, one of the sort of clown characters is someone with an eating disorder, and though the book noted that it was a mental health issue, it did so after it made him the butt of a lot of jokes for the first four or five chapters. It was... not my favourite part of the book.