Muccamukk

Muccamukk

The Radical King (King Legacy)
Martin Luther King Jr., Cornel West
Ancillary Justice
Ann Leckie

Mechanique: A Tale of the Circus Tresaulti

Mechanique: A Tale of the Circus Tresaulti - Kiri Moth, Genevieve Valentine What a peculiar book. I wavered wildly while I was reading it, going from BEST EVER to DO NOT LIKE and back again, but I think I came out in favour of it in the end.

I think if I read it again, or even picked it apart, I'd like it even more. The structure is very conscious, changing tense, point of view and style frequently to make this kind of collage of people and events. In the end it mostly tells a story, though the narration didn't seem that reliable, and there was enough magic kicking around that I'm not sure if it told a story or a myth.

I found the deliberateness of the construction somewhat off putting at first. It's not really a book I could get sucked into to the point where I forgot I was reading, as the constant changes and the struggle to put the pieces together kept jarring me out of the story. In doing that, from a writer's perspective, I got to see more of how things went together, at least.

I'm not sure I really liked or related to any of the characters. The whole thing felt mythological enough that maybe I wasn't supposed to. They were interesting, and I liked how varied they were, and how they interacted with each other and the world. Good world building generally, really fit the tone of the book, which not all distopia manage.

Overall, an interesting read, and I'll keep an eye out for more from this author.