Muccamukk

Muccamukk

The Radical King (King Legacy)
Martin Luther King Jr., Cornel West
Ancillary Justice
Ann Leckie

Dust and Shadow: An Account of the Ripper Killings by Dr. John H. Watson

Dust and Shadow: An Account of the Ripper Killings by Dr. John H. Watson - Lyndsay Faye, Simon Vance I swore I'd never read another Ripper book, but everyone told me this one was great, and I'm a sucker for Sherlock Holmes pastiche, so gave it a go. Mostly it had everything I want from Holmes story, with lots of h/c moments, good deducting, a strong feel of London, and some great OCs. I was well please.

Until the ending. I was perfectly happy with the solution to the mystery. And the action climax as great, and I liked all the character beats, but... Faye did that thing again.

She has this habit of addressing issues by including characters to express the points of view that the main characters leave out, and giving them lots to do, and then totally undercutting them for drama! Or in this case, for no decipherable reason. Which made me annoyed enough to like this book a lot less than I otherwise would.

In this case, why did Miss Monk get amnesia? It made no sense, other than the author thought the horrors of the case would be too hard on the character, and didn't seem to think she should get to know that she'd helped defeat the Ripper. Which more or less completely undid the point of including a working woman from Whitechapel.