Muccamukk

Muccamukk

The Radical King (King Legacy)
Martin Luther King Jr., Cornel West
Ancillary Justice
Ann Leckie

The Oresteia

The Oresteia - Aeschylus, Alan Shapiro, Peter Burian I didn't like this one nearly as much as Persians, no matter that it's supposed to be the crown jewel of surviving Greek tragedy.

I think part of it was on the translation, which I found very workmanlike and lacking in poetry. There were a couple of scenes and acts that shone through, but mostly they seemed to do so despite the translation, or because of the staging. I might like it better if I saw it live. Or read it again in a more poetic and lyrical translation.

The main issue I had with it was the deeply embedded misogyny. I knew it was coming, but wow. It's more or less a ringing endorsement of violence against women. Everyone except Clytemnestra seems to forget that Iphigenia existed, and obviously Clytemnestra herself is monstrous, and not really important, and it's totally okay to just murder her. Anyone who complains is wrong, and will be demoted post haste. Also women are scary, gross, irrational, and don't matter. In case you missed the first time. I get that it was of its time, but it came a little too close to home all the same.