Muccamukk

Muccamukk

The Radical King (King Legacy)
Martin Luther King Jr., Cornel West
Ancillary Justice
Ann Leckie

Assata: An Autobiography

Assata: An Autobiography - Assata Shakur, Angela Y. Davis I would strongly recommend this book to anyone interested in US history or the history of the protest movement. The story is divided between Shakur's youth and entry into the Black Power movements, and the four years she spent on trail in the early to mid '70s, and both parts are illuminating, though I found the story of her growing consciousness more interesting. She really lays out what it felt like to be working class and black in New York in the '60s and '70s, and is very frank about how her personal ethics evolved including many past errors.

I wish there had been more detail about her transition from the Black Panthers to the Black Liberation Army, and what life in the BLA was like, but I understand the political constraints she was writing under (not wanting to drop the FBI on anyone's head). Perhaps there will be a follow up some day.

On a prose level, the book is strongly written, and cut through with Shakur's poetry. It's definitely a step up from most memoirs.